- Use a 100-page composition-style notebook. Note: You will use one for first semester and one for second semester.
- Skip the first 5 pages. Number the rest on the bottom right corners.
- Each new entry starts on the next right-facing page.
- In general, write on the right and tape handouts on the left.
- Date the upper right corner of each new entry.
- The Daily Pages Section begins at the center fold. To save space, write on both sides. Skip a single line between each entry. Ongoing homework is 2-3 pages of writing every week (Due Wednesdays).
R/W Notebook Organization
FIRST FIVE SHEETS
- Fly Page (leave blank)
- Title Page (decorate to show your personality, interests, and talents)
- Table of Contents (3 pages)
AFTER FIRST FIVE SHEETS
- What Should I Write? (Writing Territories) pp. 1 – 2
- Rules for Writing Workshop p. 3
- Rules for Reading Workshop p. 4
- How to Book Talk / Someday Books p. 5
- Books I Finished p. 6
- Literature and Writing Terms pp. 7 – 10
- Minilessons on Craft and Conventions pp. 11 – 45 (or the center-point of the notebook)
- Daily Pages and First Draft Writing – Drafts, Reflections, Journals, Freewrites, Quickwrites, Experiments pp. 46 (center) to end (Paste Writing Ideas to facing page.)
Ideas for R/W Notebook Daily Pages
- Your Writing Territories. Remember to keep adding to this list as ideas come to you. Writing territories include any genre / form of writing. Write from your heart.
- Daily Pages Writing Ideas
- Nothing to Write? Look Here! https://goo.gl/wuqDIY
*Note: Many students use daily pages to work on longer pieces. You are welcome to do that. Just make sure you write at least 3 pages (250 – 300 words).
Work-in-Progress Folder (2-pocket)
Use a two-pocket folder to store current class work, such as—
- Packets: Spelling / Word Study / Conventions
- Weekly Reading Log: Due Each Friday
- Mentor Texts and Current Assignments
Be sure to clean out WIP folder at the end of every unit.
Save Everything in Google Drive
- In Drive, create a folder titled Period # Last Name English 7 (EX. 4 Johnson English 7).
- Share the folder link with amcmillan@sbunified. Choose “Can edit.”
- Keep all drafts of English assignments in this folder. Upload pictures of handwritten or illustrated work you want to save. Title all documents using this format: Period # Last Name Assignment Title (EX. 4 Johnson Argument Essay).