Image Credit: @DrGarcia via Flickr
Goals: Read Chapter 3. Choose a cognitive strategy to respond. Add a transition word.
- Outsiders Audiobook: I have posted the entire audiobook in Google Classroom. Feel free to listen on your own. Make sure you also read along with your book.
- Instruction Guide to Happiness: Congratulations to those who have published their explanatory writing piece (Instruction Guide to Happiness). If you have not revised, proofread, and published yet, please do so today for partial credit.
- Absent Yesterday? Read the blog from yesterday. Be sure to complete the starter, read Ch. 2 and write a close reading response.
- Outsiders Research: If you did not complete the Outsiders research in the library, please finish it for homework. If you finish by Friday, you can still earn full credit.
Record your reading for the week. Remember, this includes The Outsiders AND what you read over Thanksgiving Break.
2) Read Outsiders Ch. 3
Click HERE to read about how to respond to what you read in The Outsiders.
For your own copy of the assignment, go to Google Classroom (click HERE).
Use the Cognitive Strategies Booklet to write an extended response (2 – 3 complete sentences).
4) Workshop Time
- Finish your Instruction Guide to Happiness
- Finish your Outsiders Research
- Finish reading Ch. 1 or start reading and annotating your first nonfiction article in Newsela. Click HERE for directions on getting started.
5) EXIT TICKET
HOMEWORK: Read Ch. 3, 1 – 2 Close Reading Responses
Goals: Read and track progress. Use sensory details to show not tell.
- Check the Publish Your Narrative assignment in NEO. Did you turn it in? Did you submit a LINK not a file? Did you turn in the right version? Did you write a 2 sentence reflection about your writing?
- Sign up for a book talk (right sidebar).
- Absent yesterday? Turn in the paper copy of Revise and Publish in 5 Steps. Turn in Narrative to NEO (Publish Your Narrative).
2) Update Reading Log.
Open #BookLove Reading Log in Google Drive.
Update your reading for the week.
3) Participate Book Talks and Update My Next Reads.
Go to your “Next Reads”list in the Notes app. Write down the titles of books you might want to read next.
If you want to give a book talk, sign up on the form linked on the right sidebar.
Click HERE to see the Monster Experiment handout.
Click HERE for a sensory details word list. You should also have this in your English folder.
Click HERE to see my example.
Use descriptive language and sensory details to complete Monster Sheet #1.
On Monday you will draw your monster based on your description.
Homework: Read. Charge Your iPad.
Goals: Read. Keep track of your reading progress. Share your character & world idea. Summarize and reflect on your learning about “The Art of Storytelling” and Dialogue or Flow quotes.
- You should be 100% done with “We Are All Storytellers.” If you finish late, please complete the request a regrade form (tab on the upper right).
- You should be 100% done with No Red Ink Assignment #1. If you finish late, please complete the request a regrade form (tab on the upper right).
- DO NOT TURN IN ASSIGNMENTS TO GOOGLE CLASSROOM (UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE). Just make sure they are in your English 7 / Google Drive folder which is shared with firstname.lastname@example.org.
2) #BookLove Reading Log
- Open your #BookLove Reading Log in Google Drive. Make sure the best reading log is in your English 7 folder. Remove old versions.
- Update your reading for today (10/6).
- Press share to make sure it has been shared with email@example.com.
- If you finish a book complete the blue shaded section. Otherwise, leave it blank.
3) Share Best “What If” from We Are All Storytellers, Ex. 4
- Open We Are All Storytellers Doc. Scroll to Exercise 4, Part C.
- Read over your What If? story idea and revise if needed.
- Share your idea with your small group.
4) Learning Log–English Journal
- Review your learning for the week. This includes “We Are All Storytellers” and No Red Ink: Dialogue and Flow Quotes.
- In your English Journal, summarize and reflect on what you learned this week.
- REMINDERS: Start on the top of your English Journal Doc. Type the date (left) and title (center).
- Use at least two cognitive strategies:
EXAMPLE LEARNING LOG
Homework: Read. Charge iPad. Bring earbuds.
Here is our reading dog AGAIN. That dog is focused.
Goal: Read. Keep track of your progress. Adopt an alignment with a character in a favorite film.
- Raffle (end of class)
- Share English 7/McMillan folder in Drive with firstname.lastname@example.org. Start all assignments from that folder.
- Check NEO grade. If you are missing an assignment, please complete it and send an email or NEO message to me. You will receive full credit.
- If you were absent yesterday, please read the blog entry from yesterday (9/28). Complete each assignment.
- Complete the No Red Ink Diagnostic assignment (if you have not).
2) Complete #BookLove Reading Log for 9/29
- Find your #BookLove Reading Log in Google Drive.
- Update it for this week (9/29).
- Make sure it is inside your English7 folder.
- Make sure your English 7 folder is shared with email@example.com
4) We Are All Storytellers Exercise 2
- Open your We Are All Storytellers Doc from Google Drive.
- Scroll to exercise 2.
- Watch the video and complete part A.
Homework: Read 30 minutes daily. Charge your iPad. Bring Your Book and Ear Buds on Monday.
Goal: Read. Participate in a book conference. Complete your weekly reading Log. Finish using cognitive strategies from “Before You Read.”
2) #BookLove Reading Log
After reading time, click HERE to open the Reading Log assignment in Google Classroom.
3) “What Do Fish…?” Before Reading
Review, Revise, and Perfect the Before Reading: Easy as 1-2-3 section. Click HERE to open the assignment in Google Classroom. Turn it in for an assessment grade.
Homework: Read, Charge iPad
Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Nick Youngson
Goal: Read independently. Conference with me about your book. Keep track of your progress.
1) Read your book for fifteen minutes.
2) Sign up for Google Classroom.
3) In Google Classroom: Answer the question posted in the stream. Read your classmate’s answers.
4) In Google Classroom: #BookLove Reading Log and Reflection
When you open the #BookLove attachment, it will automatically make a copy for you to edit. Type your reading for last week and this week. If you finished your book, write the date you finished and the total pages in the book.
When you finish the rows for 9/1 and 9/8, turn in your completed reading log to Google Classroom.
Homework: Read 30 minutes daily & bring your book