Goal: Read the second opinion article on Newsela. Read, annotate, write, and take the quiz.
Go to Google Classroom and open today’s starter. When you finish, click See Previous Responses. Be prepared to share your own response or someone else’s.
WEDNESDAY (EVALUATING): Watch the “Wake Up Wednesday” motivational video. What is the speaker’s claim about cell phones? Do you agree or disagree?
2) Mini-lesson: Workshop Norms
Go to Google Classroom and open the Workshop Norms assignment. Take notes on the slide that has been shared with you. You may write on the PDF or open it in Slides.
Click HERE to open the Unit 5 HyperDoc.
Your goal today is complete Newsela Article #2: Analyzing Author’s Craft and Evaluating
If you finish early—
- Complete Weekly Pages 10 (due Tomorrow)
- Choose an activity from What to Do When You Are Done.
3) Debrief & Exit Routine
Homework: Read, Charge iPad, Weekly Pages 10, Finish Newsela Article #2 (Bullying in Sports)
Goals: Read and respond to an opinion article from Newsela. Analyze the author’s craft. Add your own opinion to a class discussion.
- Book Talks Friday 2/2
- Missing Work (Mostly Good!): 1 Reading Log, 1 Would You Rather? (Weekly Pages 8), 1 English Journal
- I’m Finished! Tab = If you complete a task from the “What to Do When I’m Done” list, fill out the I Finished Something form to receive credit.
Open the starter in Google Classroom. Answer today’s question. When you are done, choose See previous responses to see your classmates’ answers.
Open the Unit 5: Reading Arguments HyperDoc. Read the Planning and Goal Setting task.
Read the task for Newsela Article #1. If you have not finished replying to the annotations, do that first. Today’s goal is for you to write to the prompt and take the quiz.
When you finish the Newsela quiz, go to Google Classroom and write your own opinion on the discussion post titled, “Evaluating: Is Social Media Bad for Young People?” Use evidence from the article and from your life to answer the question.
After others have responded, press See Classmates’ Answers. Write academic responses to at least two classmates.
4) What to Do When You Are Done
- Finish Weekly Pages 9
- Choose an activity from the What To Do When You Are Done list on the right sidebar.
Homework: Read, Charge Your iPad, Weekly Pages 9 (Due Tomorrow), Finish Newsela Article 1 (ALL)
Image Credit: @DrGarcia via Flickr
Goals: Read Chapter 11 and complete 11 close reading strategies.
- You should have 10 close reading responses done today. I will give you points and feedback based on your work so far.
- Finish The Outsiders by Tuesday 1/9 (last day). All Outsiders activities, including Newsela and No Red Ink, are due Friday 1/12.
- If you are done with The Outsiders, get a new book to read.
Record your reading from over the break and this week. Remember to include The Outsiders.
3) Workshop Time
5) EXIT TICKET
HOMEWORK: Read Ch. 11 & Complete 11 Close Reading Responses, Read a Newsela article or complete the No Red Ink Pretest