Goals: Summarize an opinion article from Newsela in 4 different ways.
- Due Today: Weekly Pages 9
- Book Talks Friday 2/2
- Congratulations on your independent work over the last two days. Thank you for staying focused.
- Complete all Newsela #1 (annotations, write, quiz, G Classroom discussion) activities before you move on to the expanding summary.
- Advice from Newsela: If you score a 2 or lower on a quiz, try reading at an easier level. Also, if you don’t understand the annotations, make the reading level easier.
- MEET IN LIBRARY TOMORROW
Open the starter in Google Classroom. Be sure to write your answer in complete sentences. Press See previous responses to read what your classmates have written. Be prepared to share.
2) Minilesson: Expanding Summary
Overview: For this activity, you will summarize the Newsela article “Social Media’s Effects on Young People Aren’t All Negative” 4 different ways:
- An image
- A slogan or “bumper sticker”
- A concise, 25-word sentence
- A detailed, 100-word summary, including the source information (title, author, genre)
Reread our the Planning and Goal Setting target:
Scroll to the Expanding Summary #1 section and read the directions:
After you have studied the teacher example, get started on your own summary. You may either write on paper, or use split screen to have the article and the digital PDF (from Google Classroom) open at the same time.
When you get to part 4, you may want to use the sentence starters in the example below. Make sure you TAG your source and that you explain the author’s reasons.
3) Workshop Time
Homework: Read & Bring Book (Log Tomorrow); Finish Newsela #1 and Expanding Summary #1; Charge iPad; MEET IN LIBRARY TOMORROW