Materials and Preparation: Boggle, Groups of 3-4, Timer (3 minutes), scratch paper, student timer, student point keeper
- Find words of 3 or more letters
- Words can be horizontal, vertical, and diagonal (or a mix)
- Letters must be connected (no skipping letters)
- 3-4 letter words are 1 point
- Add 1 point extra for each letter over 4 (ex. a 5-letter word is 2 points, a 6-letter word is 3 points)
How to Play
- Shake up the letters and start the timer.
- All group members write, but they can help each other. HINT: Players should whisper so other groups can’t hear.
- The timer signals when 3 minutes has passed.
- Group members count up their points. Top scorers raise their hands.
- Group with the most points reads words aloud.
- The rest of the class checks the accuracy of the winning group.
- Winning student earns points for his/her entire group.
- Continue playing several rounds.
- Winning group receives a small prize.
Materials: scratch paper, a basket or bowl
- Divide the class into two teams (A/B)
- Give each student 3 small pieces of scratch paper
- Students write familiar words and/or short phrases on the scratch paper
- Fold the words/phrases one time and put them in the bowl or basket
Round 1: Taboo
- Team B volunteer times (1 minute)
- Student from Team A chooses a word
- He/she tries to explain the word without saying the word
- Continue until the time is up
- Team A receives points for as many words as they guessed correctly
- Switch teams and alternate until the words run out
Round 2: Password
- Put all words back in the bowl or basket
- This is like round 1, except the student can only say one word
- To guess, students recall words from round 1
Round 3: Charades
- This is like rounds 1 and 2, except students use gestures and/or facial expressions